Engagement photo sessions are usually the first time a newly engaged couples work with their professional photographer. Often, it is also the first time you and your fiance have photos taken together. Below are the top 5 questions couples ask (or should ask) themselves and their photographer to get the most out of their engagement photo session.
1. Where should we take the photos?
There are a few options to consider when choosing the location for your photo session. If there is a place that has special meaning to your and your fiance (i.e., the place where you first met, or a place you often visit), consider choosing that location. Engagement pictures taken at a special location are even more special! Also consider your style:
- Outdoorsy? If you are a couple who loves the outdoors, consider your photos at a park or the mountains.
- Artsy? If you both love books and the arts, consider a unique bookshop, cafe, or art area with murals and sculptures.
- Playful? If you are a fun-loving couple, consider a playground, candy shop, or theme park (i.e., Dollywood).
- Metropolitan? If you are more trendy and love the city, consider a downtown area (i.e., The Old City or Downtown Knoxville).
2. What should we wear?
Coordinate your clothing with each other and your background. Choose clothes that look best on you, and colors that will show up best. Also wear solid colors, and avoid trendy clothing as they will date your photos as soon as the trend goes out of style. Patterned prints look “busy” in photos and draw attention away from your face, so choosing solid colors are often best. Also, choose colors that compliment your skin tone. For example, if you have light skin, white clothing can wash out your complexion in photographs.
3. How far in advance should we take engagement photos?
There isn’t a set time limit. Some couples take engagement photos soon after they are engaged, or a few weeks before their wedding. There are a few things to consider when scheduling your session:
- What is the weather like? If it’s winter, you might want to wait until the spring when it is warmer.
- Do you need photos for newspaper engagement announcements?
- When will you be sending your “Save-the-date” cards?
- Will you be having an engagement celebration party and wish to have framed photos?
4. What time should we schedule the session?
If you choose a location outside, the best times are in the morning or late afternoon. Photos during those times have less glare. If you choose an indoor location, particularly a public place such as a store or coffee shop, call them to see when they are the least busy. This will enable you and your photographer to shoot pictures without worrying about people walking in front of the camera or being in the background. Your photo session will go much smoother and you will have more usable photos.
5. How should I do my hair and makeup?
Do not do anything drastic for your engagement photos. Avoid any major changes with your hair and makeup. You want your engagement photos to reflect who you really are, and you want to be comfortable in your own skin. Your beauty and love for one another will come out in the photographs!
Engagement pictures will be used in your photo albums, hang on your wall, and will be placed in engagement announcements and “save-the-date” cards. Taking a few moments now to make the best of your photos will be priceless in the many years to come.
About the Author:
Joe Atkins, Professional Photographer
Joe Atkins is a professional photographer based in Knoxville, Tenn. I have been a professional photographer for 6 years and have been shooting weddings and family photography for 9 years. I also work for a local advertising agency as director of broadcast, and provide HD videography services for weddings. I love that there are so many options for photography in and around East Tennessee, from the mountains and the lakes to everything in between. Capturing the emotions of your special day through candid and creative photography, JoPhoto is affordable, creative and beautiful.